One of the most commonly used products for controlling your lawn’s health and look is weed and feed. It is a combination of two beneficial lawn care technologies combined into one solution. The majority of homeowners will need to apply weed and feed at least once per year.
Understanding what this product is, the best ones on the market, and how to apply it correctly is essential. Trust us on this one — application takes a bit of knowledge and understanding.
Here are ten of the best weed and feed choices on the market and some information on applying them properly.
The 10 Best Weed and Feed Reviews
1. Best Overall: Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed
- Up to 2X more powerful dandelion and clover control (vs. previous formula)
- Clears out dandelions and clover—satisfaction guaranteed
- Weedgrip technology grips the weeds you see—and the ones you don't
- Scotts most powerful weed and feed
- Feeds to thicken lawns and crowd out weeds
The best overall weed and feed product on the market is the Scotts Turf Builder. This is a very trusted option that many homeowners have been using for a long time. The Turf Builder is designed to help keep weeds at a minimum while increasing the lawn’s strength.
The Weedgrip technology features in the Scotts Weed and Feed help make sure it properly treats the weeds in your lawn. Overall this product is going to help prevent dandelion and clover and keep everything very green.
- Covers 5000 sq feet
- Powerful treatment for dandelions and clover
- Weedgrip technology
- Don’t use on Saint Augustine
2. Best Value: Bayer Advanced All In One
- ALL-in-ONE FORMULA: Now, a weed and feed that also kills crabgrass
- WEED KILLER: Kills listed broadleaf lawn weeds including dandelion, clover, chickweed, and more. PLUS kills crabgrass and other grassy weeds
- LAWN FERTILIZER: Feeds, greens, and strengthens your lawn
- MICRO-FEED ACTION: Micro-Feed Action improves nutrient uptake during and between feedings to fortify roots and increase resistance to heat and drought
- COVERAGE AREA: Treats up to 5,000 square feet
The Bayer Advanced Weed and Feed is a weed killer and lawn fertilizer all in one. This product will cover a 5000 square foot area. The thing that sets Bayer apart from the crowd is the Micro-Feed action. This helps to make sure that the roots of the turf are strong throughout the entire year. The Bayer will thicken lawns and crowd out the pesky weeds in the turf. This product will work well on a variety of grass species.
- Herbicide effect on broadleaf weeds
- Micro feed action
- Kills crabgrass
- Not available in some states
3. GreenView Weed & Feed
- Granular lawn care product that kills over 250 weeds as listed on the label
- Time-released nitrogen for extended feeding for up to 8 weeks
- Promotes quick green up; will not burn lawn
- Restores nutrients to the soil and helps lawn retain water to protect against heat and drought
- 27-0-4 NPK Formulation, no phosphates - helps protect our waterways
The GreenView Weed and feed is a granular product that can attack over 250 weeds. This is a slow-release option that will work for about eight weeks after the initial application.
One of the best things about the GreenView is that it will treat weeds you see and those you don’t see. Sometimes you can’t see weeds starting to develop or those that are going to threaten your grass species. There are no phosphates in the GreenView, which will help make sure it is not damaging to our water supply.
- Does not burn lawn
- Covers 5000 square feet
- Restores nutrients in the soil
- Will kill St. Augustine
4. Scotts Liquid Turf Builder with Plus 2 Weed Control Fertilizer, Weed and Feed
- Fertilizes in 24 hours while controlling for weeds
- Kills dandelions, clover and other major lawn weeds
- Other weeds include buckhorn, chickweed, ground ivy, henbit, knotweed, lambsquarters, oxalis, pigweed, plantain, poison ivy, ragweed, and spurge
- Easy to use, simply attach hose and spray
- Spray when weeds are actively growing
You will notice that many options on the market are granular. However, the Scotts Liquid Turf Builder is a great choice if you want to have more of a spot type treatment. All you need to do is attach this bottle to your hose and spray your lawn. It’s simple to use the product and will take care of dandelions, clover, and other weeds. The liquid formulas tend to not be as good from the slow release standpoint. You will want to apply this fertilizer and weed killer when the weeds are visible.
- Powerful weed and feed
- Can use as a spot treatment
- Don’t need a spread to apply it
- Won’t do well if it rains soon after applying
5. Best Premium: Preen One Lawncare Weed & Feed
- Stops crabgrass all season and can be applied up to 4 weeks after crabgrass emerges
- Kills dandelions and up to 250 other tough lawn weeds as listed, to the root
- Feeds your lawn for up to eight weeks with a, zero-phosphorus 24-0-6 formula
Preen is one of the top names in the lawn care industry. Their products are of high quality and extremely effective. The great thing about the Preen Weed and Feed is that it will help to keep crabgrass under control all season. Since this is a slow-release lawn care product, you can apply it several weeks before the crabgrass becomes an issue in your turf. If you ask serious gardeners and lawn care professionals, they will tell you that Preen is a premium choice.
- Season-long crabgrass preventer
- Long-lasting applications
- Kills up to 250 other lawn weeds
- Only cover 2500 sq ft
- Will kill saint Augustine
6. Scotts Turf Builder Bonus S Southern Weed & Feed
- Kills dollarweed, clover and other listed lawn weeds
- Feeds grass to crowd out future weeds
- Builds strong, deep grass roots to strengthen against heat and drought
The Scotts Turf Builder Bonus S Southern is a great choice if you live in a southern climate. As we mentioned, most products are dangerous to use on saint Augustine turf. They will burn out the grass and leave you with no lawn at all. When using this Southern Weed and Feed, you can only use it on Saint Augustine grass species. Anything else will be killed with the powerful herbicides in this product. This is Scotts most powerful weed and feed for those in the southern climates.
- Builds strong roots in lawns
- Safe for Saint Augustine
- Kills dollarweed
- Not available in all states
7. Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action Built For Seeding
- Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action Built For Seeding is specially designed to be used when planting new grass; it jump starts grass development so grass grows quicker and thicker; plus, it prevents bothersome weeds
- Use this new grass fertilizer anytime, whether you are starting a new lawn or reseeding an existing one; for the ultimate Scotts lawn, use with Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed
- Does not contain grass seed; it prevents bothersome weeds like dandelions and crabgrass for up to 6 weeks without harming your new grass
- Built for Kentucky Bluegrass, Tall Fescue, Perennial Ryegrass, Centipedegrass and Fine Fescue
Here we are with another Scotts product. You will quickly come to learn that they make some of the best lawn care options on the market. The Turf Builder built for seeding is best for newer grass. You will find that sometimes new turf is a bit thin. The thinner turf leaves too much room for weeds to fill in. With the Turf Builder Triple Action, you can feed your current grass, promote more seeding, and decrease weeds. This is a great product if you have a newer lawn.
- Built for seeding
- Feeds to thicken lawns
- Controls dandelions and clover
- Not necessary for more established lawns
- Expensive formula
8. Pennington UltraGreen Weed & Feed Lawn Fertilizer
- Fertilizer and kills over 250 broadleaf weeds, including dandelion, henbit, dollar weed, White clover, plantain and chickweed
- Treats northern and southern grasses
- Not for floral St. Augustine
- Quick greening
- Extended feeding
- Promotes thick, green growth
- Nitrogen for lush, Green plant growth
The Pennington UltraGreen Weed and Feed is one of the faster working products. You will notice soon after application that the turf starts to turn green rather quickly. The Pennington is an effective solution for both northern and southern types of grass. Even after you apply this Pennington weed and feed, your turf will continue to be protected from weeds. The Pennington contains Nitrogen so that your grass can really green up and thicken. If you have been disappointed by the Scotts products, this is a great alternative.
- Turns grass green quickly
- Promotes thicker turf
- High performing herbicides
- Not for use on all types of grass
9. Scotts Turf Builder WinterGuard Fall Lawn Food
As we mentioned, you may only need to apply weed and feed once per year. However, if you feel like you need a second application, this WinterGuard is a great choice. The formula is specifically designed to prepare your grass for the winter and provide a better start to the new spring grown. Your grass will be better able to utilize any available nutrients during the winter after applying this product.
- Built for the fall season
- Will clean up turf at the end of the season
- Helps prepare for Spring growth
- Do not use in the Spring
- Not always as powerful as the Spring Weed and feed products
10. Lesco Professional Siteone Landscape Supply Weed & Feed Turf Fertilizer
For large lawns, it can pay to purchase a very large bag of formula. One of the best names when it comes to commercial type weed and feed products is Lesco. This is a 50-pound bag that will cover about 13,000 square feet of turf.
When using an option like this, you must make sure that the turf is a bit wet. The granules will stick to the turf and weeds a bit better to ensure that it is effective. The Lesco will start showing its results about two weeks after the initial application. The product lasts in the turf for about eight weeks total. Truly this is a professional and powerful way to take care of your lawn.
- Easy to apply
- Crabgrass preventer
- Powerful herbicides
- Large and heavy bag to work with
- Maybe larger bag than necessary for many homeowners
What Is Weed and Feed?
Weed and feed is a two in one product that features fertilizer and an herbicide. When you apply this product to your lawn, you will help the grass to grow stronger, but you will also kill weeds at the same time. As the old saying goes, this is like killing two birds with one stone.
How Does Weed and Feed Work?
Weed and feed is a combination of herbicide and fertilizer. As long as you apply the proper product, the herbicide is a selective chemical that will essentially ignore your grass and go to work attacking weeds. Simultaneously, the fertilizer used will help the lawn grow, but it will most likely burn out the turf’s weeds. The concept is great from a convenience standpoint; however, it is not one hundred percent effective at removing all lawn weeds.
Types of Weed and Feed
There are really only three types of weed and feed. You will find a granular version, a liquid version, and some organic products out there. For large lawns, the granular is going to be the best choice. If you have a smaller property, the liquid can be a manageable solution.
When to Apply Weed and Feed
There are two considerations you will need to make when it comes to applying weed and feed products. First, you must consider the time of year that you apply to your lawn. It would help if you also considered the temperature and weather conditions. Here are a few key points to remember.
- Always apply in the early Spring
- Mow your lawn a few days before applying the week and feed
- It is best if your grass is a bit wet before application
- Don’t apply weed and feed during a drought
- Try not to water your grass for two or three days after application
If you must apply weed and feed again in the Fall, that is acceptable. However, you should never apply these products in the summer. With the warm weather and the fact that this is a controlled release product, you will end up having too much built-up fertilizer in your lawn.
Weed and Feed Instructions
Knowing how to apply an all in one product like this is essential. Not to scare you, but you get one shot at weed and feed. If you do this wrong, you may jeopardize your entire lawn. Here are some simple steps to follow to make sure the process goes off without a hitch.
1. Proper Product
The most important part of this process is to choose the proper product. Ensure that you know the type of lawn you have and the type of weeds you have in your turf. Check that the product that you are applying is not going to interact poorly with the turf.
2. Time of Application
It is best to apply weed and feed products in the early spring. Ensure that the lawn is mowed and there is no rain in the forecast for a day or two. The ideal temperature for a weed and feed application is going to be around 60-70 degrees.
3. Application Process
Most weed and feed products are going to be granular. This means that you will need a broadcast spreader to apply the product. Although you can use a hand spreader, we recommend a walk behind. With the walk-behind spreader, you will get a more consistent application. Even in areas where you need dandelion and clover control, ensure that you remain consistent with the product’s speed and volume.
4. After Application of Weed and Feed
Once you have applied your weed and feed product, you will want to avoid watering your lawn for a few days. Try to make sure that your grass was well watered before applying. In fact, the products tend to stick better when the grass is slightly wet. It is also best to avoid walking on your lawn for a few days as you will never want to track lawn fertilizer into your home.
Considerations Before Buying Weed and Feed
When you purchase weed and feed, you will need to watch out for a few things. Here are the most important considerations when buying weed and feed.
Type of Grass
You must consider the type of grass you have before purchasing weed and feed. If you apply weed and feed to the wrong type of turf, you could kill your entire lawn. Most of the time, Saint Augustine is the most difficult to find weed and feed products for. You will have to look for something built specifically for your turf to ensure your grass’s safety.
Type of Weed
Try to identify the types of weeds that you have growing in your grass. Sometimes a weed and feed that takes care of dandelion may not work on clover. Most weed and feed products are going to take care of a wide range of weeds.
Granular or Liquid
Granularlar weed and feeds need to be put in a spreader; liquid weed and feeds are attached to the hose and sprayed on the turf. IF you don’t have a spreader, you may want to try the liquid weed and feed. Most of the time, people prefer granular as it is easy to apply and seems a bit more effective long term.
Size of Lawn
Weed and feed will be sold in different size bags. Each bag is intended to cover a certain area of turf. If you have a 5000 sq ft lawn or a 10,000 sq ft lawn you will have to purchase your weed and feed accordingly. Sometimes you will have to buy more than one bag to take care of all of your turf.
Things to Look for in Weed and Feed
The most important things to look for in a great weed and feed are what weeds they take care of and how long they take to work. You will want something that specifically targets the types of weeds that you have growing in your grass. If you are not sure of the weed, try and take a picture and do some comparisons and identification.
Another feature is that the weed and feed should be rather fast-acting. Some cheaper products are made with less of the powerful chemicals and won’t react right away. This is fine if you don’t have any rain or you don’t water your grass. However, on the slower weed and feed formulas, you do risk the chance of it washing away before it has effectively treated your lawn.
Homeowners need to decide about this broad weed and feed application as compared to something that is just a basic fertilizer and then a spot weed treatment. Try to consider if the weed and feed process is necessary, and if the product you chose will truly fix your lawn issues.
Reasons to Avoid Using Weed and Feed
As with most lawn care products, herbicides and fertilizers, there are some dangers involved. After all, we are trying to recreate something naturally occurring in the environment, which is quite hard to do. There are some reasons to avoid using weed and feed. There are also reasons to make sure that you are careful when you apply this product.
Harmful To Trees and Shrubs
Some homeowners love the idea of applying the weed and feed to their lawns in a broadcast spreader. You can simply pour the solution in, take a quick walk, and the project is complete. Unfortunately, the weed and feed are spread throughout your entire lawn means that even trees and shrubs will be hit with the same fertilizer and herbicide. This combination of chemicals is not ideal for these plants, and over time, it will harm or kill them.
Not Safe for Kids and Pets
Kids and pets love to roll around on lawns. If you know your children or pets will be spending quite a bit of time in your grass, you may want to avoid weed and feed. Weedkiller especially can be a dangerous chemical that is not good for children to spend time around. There are some more natural herbicides out there if you need a better product for weed control.
Unnecessary Use of Herbicides
Before you head out there with your 50-pound bag of weed and feed, stop for a minute and consider how much of this your lawn really needs. Is your entire yard covered in thick weeks and clover? Are you trying to eliminate just one dandelion? The problem with weed and feed products is that they will cover lawn areas that do not need to be treated. Certainly, this is a waste of product and causes unnecessary damage to the environment.
Can Burn Out Your Lawn
Not only do you have to be careful not to use too much weed and feed, but you also need to consider the type you are using. Although the product’s fertilizer component could be good for your turf, the herbicide may interact in a bad way. This is a strong product that should really only be applied once per year. However, if you misuse it, you will certainly see a great reduction in your turf.
Chemicals Can Wind up Indoors
It’s difficult to complete a weed and feed application and then not touch your lawn for an extended period of time. Since these weed killer fertilizer combos are mostly granular, they can easily be tracked in the house. As a general rule, it makes sense to take your shoes off at the door. After applying weed and feed products, you will have to be certain you leave all of the chemicals on the lawn where it was intended to stay. Weed killers are powerful, and the more you can do to protect yourself from them, the better.
Weed and Feed FAQ
What Kind of Results Can I Expect From Using Weed and Feed?
If you use the proper weed and feed on your lawn, you will end up seeing your grass grow fuller and taller and your weeds start to die down. The weed and feed fertilizers your lawn and make up for nutrients that it may be missing. At the same time, this product will kill the weeds growing in your turf.
How Many Seasonal Applications of Weed and Feed Do I Need?
At most, you should apply weed and feed twice per year. It is best to do it once in the spring, and then, if you find it necessary, another application in the fall. Applying weed and feed too often will cause damage to your grass.
Can I Use Weed and Feed on Trees and Shrubs?
No, do not use weed and feed on trees and shrubs. In fact, most weed and feed products will warn the user from applying under trees and shrubs. The problem is that weed and feed’s chemical makeup is not ideal for anything but the grass that you spread it on. Applying these chemicals to trees and shrubs year after year will cause significant damage.
How Much Does Weed & Feed Cost?
Weed and feed will vary in price, anywhere from about $20 to $50 a bag. You must remember that you may need more than one bag to cover your entire yard. This is where the price of weed and feed can get quite high. Luckily it is something you really should only need to do once per year.
Is There Any Difference Between All the Weed and Feed Products?
Yes, there is some chemical difference between the weed and feed products on the market. Some will have higher and lower levels of herbicide. Overall, the products will be very similar, but you will need to make sure that you purchase for the type of turf you have. If you live in a colder climate or have something other than common weeds growing in your turf, make sure your product matches the situation on your hands.
Is There Pet Safe Weed and Feed?
There are some pet safe weed and feed options on the market. Of course, as you may have already imagined, organic fertilizer and herbicide do not always work as quickly or effectively as the synthetic version. However, for keeping pets safe, a few extra weeds in the lawn grass is most definitely worth it.
The Espoma Weed Preventer is a great choice to consider if you have pets that will want to play on the lawn as soon as you apply your weed and feed.
- Espoma Weed Preventer is an all natural weed preventer and lawn food made from pure corn gluten meal
- Weed Preventer prevents dandelions, crabgrass, and other common weeds, and provides long lasting greening that won't burn
- Children and pets can play on lawn immediately after application!
- Application: Apply 2 times per year: Early Spring before weed seeds germinate, and Early Fall
Start Your Weed and Feed Application Today
The weed and feed products will help you accomplish a lot of lawn maintenance and treatment at once. If you have never applied weed and feed before, make sure you are very careful with which product you apply.
You can see from our top choices that the Scotts products truly stand out as some of the best weed and feed products on the market. They are fairly priced and can be tailored to your needs. Make sure you are ready for weed and feed season when Spring comes.
Last Updated on February 4, 2021 by Gustaf Johansson